For years Scarpa has been very generous by sending huge amounts of demo gear so that participants can test out the latest and greatest ice climbing gear. Scarpa, like our other Gold Sponsors, has sent amazing athletes to our event ensuring that we get the highest quality instructors, and are entertained in the evening with inspiring stories of climbing around the world. This year Scarpa is graciously sending Fabrizio Zangrilli.
Fabrizio is 38 years old, lives in Boulder, Colorado and has been climbing for 22 years. His climbing has taken him around the world, attempting and putting up new routes or speed ascents in the Himalaya, Alaska, Patagonia and Queen Maud Land, Antarctica – to name just a few of his expeditions. He has guided and or led expeditions to Everest, K2 (5 times) Makalu, Cho Oyu and the Gasherbrums, Nuptse South Face, Ama Dablam (5 times), Pumori and Cerro Torre. Fabrizio is one of the few climbers to go from K2 base Camp, 5000m, to camp 4, 7900m, and back to base camp in a day (36 Hours). His main belief is speed is safety in the mountains, and really enjoys helping clients reach their goals! You can follow Fabrizio’s adventures here!
Besides sending Fabrizio, Scarpa will be supporting our event by sending their demo fleet of top notch ice boots. As you might know, our demos are an opportunity to try out the leading ice climbing manufacturers gear- so take some time out of the weekend and give one of our personal favorites- the Phantom Guide, a try.
From HMR to the west shore of Grand Island, the Scarpa Phantom Guide is a lightweight alpine climbing boot for all your ice climbing and mountaineering needs. The Phantom has an ErgoFit system that allows you to flex your feet naturally so you can get a better grip on small rock flakes when you’re ascending technical terrain.
- PrimaLoft lightweight insulation and multilayer upper adds warmth when you’re hitting the ice
- Waterproof t-zip and integrated gaiter provide protection from the elements so you can climb hard all day long
- Synthetic Cordura uppers with a DWR coating provide dryness inside of the t-zip
- Quick lace system can be tightened or loosened easily with cold fingers or gloves
- ErgoFit sole allows your foot to flex naturally
- Midsole construction uses microporous polyurethane to improved shock absorption and durability
- Tough Vibram TT sole for superior grip and traction on variable alpine terrain
Thanks Scarpa for committing to support Mid West ice climbers and sending Fabrizio to this years Michigan Ice Fest!