Sam is the owner and Chief Guide for Montana Alpine Guides. He has guided professionally since 2004 throughout the contiguous US, Alaska, Europe, and South America. He considers his back yard, the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, his favorite place to climb, due to the endless opportunities for vertical exploration in every direction. He has made many first ascents close to home including “The Infiniti Line” (V, 5.12b, C1, 1,000’), “The Velvet Hammer” (5.12, 900’), “The Reverie” (WI 6+, M7 600’), and “Raven Crack-ed” (1,400’ WI 5+ M7), among others. He has an immense love for climbing and for teaching folks the mountain skills it has taken him years to learn. He shares his passion through his guiding and the large number of folks who return to climb with him year after year hold testament to that fact.
- First ascents in Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, Peru, Mexico, and Morocco.
- Climbing trips to Argentina, Chile, Peru, Cuba, Mexico, US, Europe, and Africa.
- Successful guided trips on rock, ice, and alpine through out the US, Mexico, Europe, Alaska, and Peru.
- Certifications: WFR, CPR, AVALANCHE I & II
- Two time Mugs Stump Award Recipient
- Double major in Spanish and Geography (MSU)
- Professional photographer www.sammagro.com
Sam is coming to the Ice Fest for the first time courtesy of Scarpa!