New for 2020!
The Heartland Grant is designed to help Midwest climbers and weekend warriors chase their ice climbing dreams. Our community is rich with dreamers and extraordinary climbers and it’s time we foster that.
We’ll be giving out $1,000 in cash to make those dreams reality. We think you can do great things, prove us right.
How to Apply
Step 1. Dream up a great trip.
Step 2. Make a one minute video explaining your trip and telling us why it should win the grant
Step 3. Fill out the application and upload your video.
Step 4. Our committee will select the top project.
July 1st – Application Period begins
September 31st – Application period ends
December 1st – Winner
February 14th – Grant will awarded to the winner on stage at the festival (attendance required)
Applications will be considered using the following criteria:
- The Heartland Grant is open to climbers 14 years old or older (parental permission is required for climbers 14-18 years old old) of all abilities
- Applicants must be residents, or students attending school, in one of these Midwest States: Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, and Indiana or the Canadian province of Ontario.
- Project must be an ice climbing trip. Expeditions, notable first ascents, competitions, as long as its primary focus is ice climbing it’s good with us.
- The committee is looking for fun and interesting trips. Anyone can spend a weekend at the local crag, surprise us with remote destinations, unique challenges, and, above all else, impeccable style.
- Applications are considered for projects that occur within one year of the date awarded.
- You can’t be an employee, or family member of an employee, of the Michigan Ice Fest, Down Wind Sports, or any of our sponsors
- Upon receiving the Heartland Grant, all grant recipients are required to do the following”
- Trip report or blog post for the Ice Fest website
- Presentation about the trip at the following festival
- tag the Michigan Ice Fest in any posts relating to the trip and promote the Heartland Grant
- Funds must utilized for the trip within one year of the grant award date. If for any reason the project is canceled or significantly changed (as determined by the committee), awarded funds must be returned to the Michigan Ice Fest in full. Failed ascents happen, and often make great stories. Safety first.